Wednesday 1 October 2014

9V to 5V Regulated Power Supply – Revisit

Just a quick revisit on the 5V Regulated Power Supply circuit. When I made the previous version I oriented the output pin header facing up. This was done so that I would be able to componentize the circuit within other embedded projects.

After using the circuit a couple of times with solderless breadboard prototyping for the ATTiny85 IC, I realised that I had missed an opportunity. With the output header pins facing up, I had to use a female to male DuPont wire connector to connect the circuit to the solderless breadboard. If I were to change the orientation so that the output header pins were facing down, then I could connect the circuit directly to the solderless breadboard without intervening jumpers.

I made another of these handy little circuits and soldered the output header pins to the bottom of the PCB. There were no other changes made to the PCB at all, nothing!

New Version 9V to 5V Reg

After soldering it up, I gave it a test. Connecting the regulator to the solderless breadboard and a pair of jumpers on the +/- rails of the board and then to the multimeter on 20V power measurement, the regulator gave me a steady 4.98V (0.996 below 5V) so the circuit still works just dandy.

Then I connected a load circuit to the jumpers (again, my “go to” load circuit, the 2x2 SMD LED matrix), and of course it works just peachy. With the same voltage reading as the other circuit, I figure that there isn’t much need to do any more testing than this.

Job done … yay!

I could probably improve this design by adding another pair of header pins in front of the existing output pins. These additional pins would only be soldered to copper pads and are not part of the circuit, but would improve the mechanical stability of the sub-board when plugged in to the solderless breadboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal Donations

Donations to help me to keep up the lunacy are greatly appreciated, but NOT mandatory.