Sunday 9 March 2014

LED Lamp – Part 4

The next thing to do is to invest the circuitry in some resin. I’m using Barnes Easy Cast Clear with a mixture of red and white dye and some glitter to add some pink glittery specialness for my daughter (the lamp is for my daughters bedroom).
First, I made a mold using plasticine.
Picture 16
I redid the plasticine base, pushing the LED lights through the CD and into the plasticine. That way, the LED plug up the holes in the CD and there shouldn’t be too much leaking underneath the disc.
The plasticine was rolled out into a couple of strips that were then wrapped around the CD to give me a vessel to pour the resin into. I made sure that I sealed the seams in the plasticine so that the resin doesn’t leak there either. The two wires (positive and negative) that power the circuit were cut in through the plasticine wall and sealed up.
I made up 100ml of 2 part resin. In the first 50ml, I added the white and red dyes and the glitter. The colours and glitter were added here so that I could mix them in without worrying about the pot-life of the mixed resin.
I put the plasticine reservoir into a plastic ice-cream tub to make sure that any spills or mishaps were contained.
When I had the colour mixed thoroughly, I then added 50ml of the resin part-B and poured it into the plasticine reservoir.
Picture 17
The mixture is curing in the mold.
You can see some of the glitter.
Picture 18
The resin is about 15mm thick and should cure to an almost opaque pink.. I’m not sure how much of the glitter will be visible, I’m hoping that the light from the LED will illuminate the resin disc.
Well … here’s hoping. The MSDS for the resin says that it is cured in @1 hour and takes about 7 days to fully cure (unless you want to bake it in the oven … not practical here, I’m afraid).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal Donations

Donations to help me to keep up the lunacy are greatly appreciated, but NOT mandatory.