Monday 3 November 2014

ATX Lab Power Supply – Planning Progress 1

I think that this project is going to take me some time … there are some bits of information that I need to gather before I can really do very much, some case modifications and some decisions about how I go about providing connections to the power outputs.

image

I have been given an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W power supply with dual “pull through” cooling fans. The power supply seems to have all that I need (and some redundant bits that I need to plan how to handle).

I downloaded the manual from the Antec website and it seems to have most of the information that I need … so far.

My requirements are:

  • Break out connections for 3.3v, 5v and 12v;
  • Switch between 12V and variable power output;
  • voltmeter display to show voltage output on 12V/variable;
  • 5V USB output;
  • LED power indicator;
  • LED standby indicator.

To achieve the 12V/Variable I plan to put in a SPDT toggle switch to select either 12V or Variable. When the 12V/Variable is in either state, for the voltage to be displayed on a voltmeter. This means that I’m going to have to dedicate one of the 5V outputs to power the voltmeter.

The 5V USB should be fairly straight forward, I just need to connect the outer two pins on the USB connection block  to 5V and GND (the right way around).

I could embed the power supply inside a purpose built case that simply connects the power supply 20+4 connector into a compatible PCB connector and then break the connections out from that. That would also mean that, should I need to change the power supply later, that it is independent of the case and breakouts.

Anyway, I’m going to do some research and mull over the options before I do anything else with this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal Donations

Donations to help me to keep up the lunacy are greatly appreciated, but NOT mandatory.