Tuesday 15 May 2012

Forge

Some of the parts that I need to make the Mulling machine and the Furnace Mk II need to be forged, so I’m going to need to make myself a new forge. The old forge was just, frankly, rubbish. I used an old stainless steel sink and I drove the forge using the vacuum cleaner. Basically, I lost too much heat and the bed was too small.

IMG_0031

Now I need to make something a little more appropriate and I have another 44 gallon drum sitting there doing nothing (but rusting) in my driveway.

The plan is to cut the top off the drum and make a hood and flue for the exhaust and drive the forge (initially) using the vacuum still. The vacuum works well enough for the furnace, so I think that it will work just fine for the forge.

Forge Plan

The plan looks a little bit “Tin Man”, but the design is basic. I’ll cut a port in the front of the drum so that I can place the work-piece into the forge. The second “innovation” is that the forge will be placed in a lean-to attached to the side of my workshop. So I’ll be able to vent the exhaust out of the workshop entirely. I have a couple of pieces of steel that I’m using as anvils and I’ve got a mixture of flat and ball peen hammers that I can use for belting the metal. My first job will be to make some decent tongs. I have some but they are a little short (fireplace tongs). My work surface, apart from the anvils, is a 3’ x 1’ hardwood stump (eucalyptus spp.) that I’ve banded to control the splitting.

I am planning on making a volute fan for the forge that I will drive from the motor of an old bench grinder … but that is a job for later. I’ve drawn up the plans for the fan, I just need to get around to making it. I haven’t yet decided on weather or not to do this by forging, using sheet metal, or molding and casting the fan body … I will probably just take the easiest option and make it from sheet metal.

I think that, because of the priority of tasks, that I need to make the forge before I continue with the furnace or the mulling machine. Besides, my flowerpot furnace is still good for a couple of burns.

My lean-to is big enough for the forge, the furnace and the stump as well as giving me a surface for my molding flasks and tools. Although I think that, before too long, I may need to move into my other lean-to. Fortunately, I have options. I could also clean out the feed shed attached to the back of my workshop and do all of my forging and smelting in there with the added benefit of electricity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal Donations

Donations to help me to keep up the lunacy are greatly appreciated, but NOT mandatory.