Thursday 17 January 2013

Long exposure night shooting

I wanted to try out some more manual shooting with the EOS 350D. I read a couple of online articles that gave me some inspiration to have a play.

I needed to set the ISO, the shutter speed (manual) and the aperture of the camera to get what I wanted. I also had to wait for a night that wasn’t lousy with clouds.

To start with, I set the dial to Manual Exposure (M). Next, I set the ISO value to 100-200 and then the aperture to 8-12 (page 86 of the manual for info on how to do this.

I used the tripod (Manfrotto 190/#115 2-way head) and a remote control shutter (Canon RC6).

IMG_0004

F-stop f/8
Exposure time 28 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 18mm
Flash mode none
Capture RC6

Okay, that’s nice … so I tried again with a slightly different angle.

IMG_0005

F-stop f/8
Exposure time 16 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 18mm
Flash mode none
Capture RC6

The only difference is that the exposure time is 16 seconds. Plus I moved the camera slightly.

IMG_0006

F-stop f/8
Exposure time 18 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 18mm
Flash mode none
Capture RC6

Moved the camera more and 18 seconds for exposure time.

IMG_0007

F-stop f/8
Exposure time 72 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 18mm
Flash mode none
Capture RC6

Finally, I went for a very long exposure, capturing the lights of the cars going up Pass Road and along Cambridge Road leaving light trails. The pinpricks of the stars in the sky are pleasing too.

I have also done some level correction in the pictures in Photoshop.

Overall I’m happy with the results.

Before the twilight started to come down, the clouds were starting to look very nice … so I took a couple of shots. I had to crop these down a little so that the balcony.

IMG_0002

F-stop f/5.6
Exposure time 1/60 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 28mm
Flash mode none
Capture single shot

IMG_0003

F-stop f/5.6
Exposure time 1/40 sec
ISO 100
Focal length 18mm
Flash mode none
Capture RC6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal Donations

Donations to help me to keep up the lunacy are greatly appreciated, but NOT mandatory.